Tag Archives: wow that’s deep
Hi so over at Favorite Household Object (my mom’s blog), my mom writes a daily meditation on an object every day. I thought I’d try something similar.
Object: my new medical bracelet
I finally got a medical bracelet! I think it says a lot of things for a piece of black rubber with some metal attached. Here’s a list:
1. My name (duh)
2. My parents’ home phone number
3. That I have MS
4. The medication I’m on
(and now for some less literal things that it says)
5. That I have super good fashion sense (jkjk but I have gotten some awkward compliments before people realize what it is)
6. That maybe sometimes I’ll need rescuing
7. But also that I’m looking out for myself
8. That I might have some seriously misplaced faith! To expand on that: I go to a college where students drink a lot, and sometimes get sent to the hospital. Say somebody was to find me in some super bad state (people with MS have, in rare cases, experienced sudden and complete paralysis), who’s to say that they wouldn’t just assume that I’d been drinking a lot or doing some drugs or whatever and not notice the bracelet that says otherwise? In the real world, where people don’t get blackout drunk on any day of the week (seriously Wesleyan, who decided that Wednesdays were “bar night?”), the bracelet might come in handy, but in my current situation I feel like it could go unnoticed.
Anyway, the point is that I’m feeling pretty labeled, and I’m not sure how to feel about it! And by labeled I mean literally, like the files on the office where I work or the mouse brain in a jar that we looked at in my neurobiology class. Picture of bracelet to follow!