I literally haven’t blogged in two months so this must be a special occasion, right? (or I’m just done being lazy and I miss blogging?)
It is a special occasion. No, it’s not a belated Mother’s Day post. Or, partially it is, but today is also my mom’s birthday.
Happy birthday, Mom!
My mom turns very old today. Just kidding, she is quite youthful and lovely, and you probably couldn’t (or wouldn’t) guess how old she is anyway.
Some cool stuff about my mom:
- she also has a blog, and though she hasn’t updated it in approximately forever, you should go read it if you haven’t already. It’s called Favorite Household Object, and it’s a meditation on different household objects. Click here!
- she also writes real stuff. Like two books, one of which is about me (but actually! I mean, kinda. I was a baby, so I’m not a super interesting character) and the other of which is an anthology of trauma writing which I use when I teach trauma writing workshops. Because my mom is the expert.
- my mom has a ridiculous amount of medical knowledge which is apparently required to be a parent in my family. She has to deal with my MS, the seizures I had as a kid, Jacob’s asthma and allergies, and Ben’s partial finger amputation. She’s done IVs in our kitchen and dressing changes in the living room. That stuff takes guts. And brains! You guys, my mom has guts and brains.
- she’s the mom that you would all wish you had if you realized how much your moms suck compared to my mom.
- we steal each other’s clothes all the time. Also, the clothes I love the most are the ones she had to persuade me to even try on.
- she runs the world’s most unproductive farm: two insane dogs, four cats with very distinct personalities, and my guinea pig (who is currently living with her instead of me, cry cry cry)
- she’s smarter than everyone else. Because I said so.
- she and my dad traveled the world before I was born and lived in Guatemala, Mexico, and Thailand. She’s also lived in England, France, and Spain.
- it’s her birthday, and I wanted to do something special, and I’m in Connecticut instead of Pennsylvania and too tired to write anything coherent. I hope ya like it anyway, mom. You’re awesome! Also, I hope you like the weird vintage jewelry box I found you that says something in French that I don’t understand because I definitely don’t speak French anymore…
Happy birthday, I love you! You’re the best mom. And I don’t care I DON’T CARE clever person on facebook who said on Mother’s Day “not everyone on facebook’s mom can be the best mom” because my mom is the best. Back off with your cynicism.
Oldest Child aka Cade aka Missylou (thanksmom)
….and now for several pictures!